~ honest. sincere. embarrassing. funny. with a healthy dose of sarcasm. ~
___________________________________

Wednesday, September 21

Fear

You can control a nation by fear....or a city. I am watching and dreading this Rita. It is scary. I feel helpless and angry and sad for all those people waiting for her down south.

But my God, people....my little city of Sarnia was watching in horror today for the gas prices to jump to $1.70. Someone called in supposedly witnessing a hike in a nearby city - and people went nuts. I live down the street from a 7-11 and I couldn't get out of my driveway today because the line up to the pumps was 100 cars long -- onto the street!!

I remember the Documentary "Bowling for Columbine" talking about the campaign of fear. ....and it's just this campaign of fear, and consumption, and that's what I think it's all based on, the whole idea of 'keep everyone afraid, and they'll consume.'

Weren't we Canadians supposed to only be concerned with the new speedbumps...and not fall into the trap of fearing everybody and everything? Maybe I'm too relaxed about it. The fact is I know the gas prices will jump. I've stopped believing in this 'democracy' thing long ago. I'll be paying $1.70 for gas soon enough - if not today.

And the worst part is that there are people fearing for their lives down south and we are worried about a few extra bucks to fill up our huge SUV's and mini vans.

Why are we so afraid of things we can't control....or stop....or change?

***** sidenote; the gas actually went down 2 cents in the days following this furry and was under $1/ litre.....

No comments: